Sunday, February 21, 2010

I Don't Know

It's been a challenging week to say the least. Beckham came down with a cold two weekends ago. I took him to the urgent care on Saturday with a 103 degree fever. Just a virus, so he didn't get any drugs. Then on Tuesday I took him back to his pediatrician just to make sure he was still okay. The doctor said other than his wild and crazy hair, he was just fine and I would have to wait it out. Love that answer!

Beckham has thrown me all new curve balls this week and my only response has been "I don't know."

I don't know why he's waking up in the middle of the night (the boy usually sleeps 12 hours straight!)
I don't know if he's teething
I don't know why he cried inconsolably for more than an hour
I don't know why he's crying
I don't know if he has an ear infection (even though the doctor checked his ears and said they were fine)
I don't know why he woke up at 9pm, 11pm, 1am, 4am and 6am the other night
I don't know why he cries for the neighbors when they watch him
I don't know why he screams bloody murder when his daddy puts him to bed
I don't know if he's getting enough to eat
I don't know if I need to drop his "cat nap" at the end of the day
I don't know if he's sleeping too much during the day
I don't know if I need to start him on solids
I don't know if I should start unswaddling him
I just don't know!!!!!

Just when I thought I had him figured out! Despite coming to the stark realization that I don't have all the answers, there is one thing I learned I DO know: it doesn't matter how old (or young) you are, when you're sick you just want your momma. I so loved that when Beckham was sick, he wanted me! I was the one who could comfort him and make him feel better. He would just lay in my chest with his face under my chin and cuddle. It was the sweetest thing ever and I can't explain how amazing it felt, but it made real this aspect of motherhood. I wouldn't trade all the "I don't knows" for that moment. And, I can't help but to think that even when he's 30... if he's sick, he'll want his momma!

Here are a few recent Mommy and Beckham moments. I realized going through my pictures that I only have one picture of just the two of us from the month of February. I'll have to work on that next month.


Beckham's First Gasparilla


Beckham and me with my Nana (Mom's Mother, 90 years old)


Four Generations: Nana, Lala (my mom's "Grandma" name), Me and Beckham. I love this picture for Beckham because I never had any great-grandparents. He is so blessed to have six!


Beckham meets his first Florida Gator - Riley Cooper! He is Tim Tebow's roommate. We met him on our way to my Grandfather's funeral in Texas. He was on our flight from Tampa to Houston. He was so nice to let us take a picture with him. Non-Gator fans have said this is a great family photo!

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I am so sorry it has been such a rough week. I know it is so frustrating. I would like to say that the "I don't knows" change, but they don't. Starting this week I am going to initiate Mommy and Me Mondays! I ll explain it to you soon.
    Love you, honey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your struggles! I am right there with you on most, ok all of them. You are doing such a great job of being a mommy- he is one lucky boy!

    I am going to send you some helpful information our doula gave us on dropping catnaps at this time. hope it is helpful to you. love- Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raquel! I love your new blog :)

    Please stick with it so I can keep with you all! I love reading about you and your family and Paige's too!

    Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete